A blog about the road that led us to where we are. And where we are going.

Monday 25 July 2011

Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon (2011)

Transformers 3 - Dark Side of The MoonDon’t even know why I’m posting a review of this, it’s absolutely terrible. I didn’t like the first one much, it was watchable but not fantastic. It had some semblance of a storyline and a fair amount of CGI. The new-transformers-dark-side-of-the-moon-images-52756-00-470-75second one I haven’t seen all the way through but from what I’ve seen, it’s just CGI and no storyline. This one is the same thing, oodles of CGI like that on its own has the capacity to make a good film. A good film doesn’t necessarily have to have any CGI and any director worth his salt will use it very sparingly (see Christopher Nolan). A really great film can hold its weight without anything other than dialogue (see The Man from Earth). I think ultimately I’m just bitching because I think Michael Bay is a poor director, so much so that I’m hard pressed to think of a single decent film he’s been associated with save for maybe the Island, perhaps half a point for Armageddon although I think that is a truly terrible film except for the absurdly amusing interactions of the characters. So are there any reasons to like thisTRANSFORMERS 3 film? Well there’s Rosie Huntington-Whiteley but she’s not a spectacular improvement over Megan Fox in any way. There’s the very cool introduction to the film which uses a sequence of American presidents sitting in the oval office and other events from bygone eras cleverly recut to imply an alternate motive behind history. Then there’s… Leonard Nimoy and I had to wait until he quoted The Search for Spock before I finally realised it was him. Epic fail. Ultimately not a complete waste of a film, it had some cool moments but is sorely lacking in terms of what $100 million should really buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment