A blog about the road that led us to where we are. And where we are going.

Sunday 5 June 2011

The New Beast

Samsung_RF511_NP_RF511_S04PL_Anglicka_verze_Figured it was time for a new laptop since the Windows recovery virus so completely destroyed my old one. Not only did it set the attributes of every single file on the HDD to hidden, it deleted every program from the start menu, kept bombarding me with demands to purchase the recovery software, restricted administrator access, disabled task manager and finally installed a rootkit somewhere that made it impossible to conduct a Google search without being directed to a random website whereupon it would re-download the virus. I managed to solve every issue except the rootkit and couldn’t find anyway to fix that one although I did trace the virus to a JRE vulnerability so deleting Java stopped it from reactivating the virus. The motherboard was failing anyway and it kept overheating and throwing up power failure messages so that gave me my cue to buy a new one. Being impatient and after failing a credit check, I finally managed to get hold of a Samsung RF511 which should keep me happy for a while.

Not a bad piece of kit – it comes with an Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 2410M (2.30GHz, 3MB), 6GB DDR3 Memory, 640GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, WXGA LCD Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GT540M (Optimus) with 1GB DDR3 Graphics memory and a few other little frills. Just don’t ask how much I paid for it, probably could have gotten better for the same price but that just wouldn’t fit with my level of patience. A quick roadtest of the machine reveals that it runs recent games (Crysis and C&C3) comfortably at maximum resolution and quality, not that I would use it for anything like that.

1 comment:

  1. Plane coming soon to an airfield near you.

    ReplyDelete