A blog about the road that led us to where we are. And where we are going.

Sunday 17 April 2011

The IMDB Top 250 Challenge

Been talking about starting this for a while. And well… I’ve decided… It is time. That challenge being to watch every film on the IMDB top 250 although to save time I only intend to watch the films I haven’t already seen. People balk about the usefulness of the list sure. More recent films are grossly overrated. Films over 10 years old though I would argue deserve to be there since the hype surrounding them has long since faded and their ratings likely reflect a majority consensus as to their overall quality.

imdb top 250 challenge

But regardless I intend to watch every film on this list and find out if there are any surprises. So starting with the top 10, here are the ones I’ve seen already.

No Film Seen?
1 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) Y
2 The Godfather (1972) Y
3 The Godfather: Part 2 (1974) N
4 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) N
5 Pulp Fiction (1994) Y
6 Schindler's List (1993) Y
7 12 Angry Men (1957) Y
8 Inception (2010) Y
9 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) Y
10 The Dark Knight (2008) Y

So the only two I’ve not seen out of the top 10 so far are The Godfather Part 2 and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I think both are going to require patience since I’ve tried watching them before and neither particularly held my interest. Inception and The Dark Knight whilst good films I really don’t think deserve to be rated this highly. The Shawshank Redemption at number 1? I agree it probably should be. The biggest surprise for me on this list was 12 Angry Men – a film I expected to hate but totally loved. The film I’m a little fuzzy on – One flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest – haven’t seen it for years and can barely remember what it’s about but I remember being blown away by it. Perhaps I should give it another watch sometime. If a film on this list really blows me away I’ll write a review otherwise I really can’t be arsed kind of thing. Next up: 11 –20. 

No comments:

Post a Comment